Thursday, January 27, 2011

Death........and awkwardness

I don't think it is any secret that when it comes to people in our lives losing a loved one, it can be awkward. We don't know what to do or say, or how to act. We have 2 sided conversations in our head. We start to play out what we will say, how they will respond......then what we will say back. Then after we have this conversation by ourselves, we just decide it will be awkward and we feel frozen and then we don't do................anything. I had this exact conversation with a friend yesterday about how she went back and forth and wanted to call, but then didn't. Maybe as you are reading this you have thought that, about me, or maybe someone else in your life at another time. I have learned so much through this process about how to really love people. You can't say anything wrong. The only wrong thing to say is nothing. The gesture of reaching out is what matters, and what means so much. I went to a college basketball game last night. One that i must say i was a bit nervous about going to, because people can be so awkward. Not intentionally, but the interactions can be awkward. Then i feel awkward. And i don't know who knows about Esther's death, and who doesn't. Do they know, and aren't saying anything? Do they not know? I'm telling you, it is kind of stressful. And I guess it doesn't help matters, that i do have a twin, which is ALWAYS awkward when we see people who think they know us, but its actually the other one. So that adds an interesting dimension I am sure:) Is this Monica or Alicia? But i was so grateful to go to the game and feel so loved. People who i haven't seen yet since we lost Esther, came and hugged me and said they were sorry for our loss. Those are beautiful words. Thats all. I said thank you and we talked, and they asked questions. I loved it. It takes the awkwardness out of, do they know? are they going to say something? do i say something? So THANK YOU to those of you who loved on me last night. You know who you are:) I feel like this whole season has been educating for me, because i used to do the same thing when it came to losses that friends of mine experienced. And now I realized that i didn't do very well. So i want to do better in the future at loving people who walk this journey. Death doesn't have to be awkward. Unfortunately, it is a part of life. Jesus is with us and makes it possible to bear. Blessings today!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this and for your honesty. So helpful to hear. Hug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! So very true! It gives you a whole different perspective when you have walked that journey yourself.
    Love and Prayers for You!

    ReplyDelete