Monday, March 28, 2011

She was the best


Thursday just after midnight, Jesus came to take my Grammie home to be with Him forever. She had not been feeling well, and had been in the hospital for a week. They did a procedure to try to help her and basically her body rejected it. She went only a few days later. It was time. She was 91 years young. It was an amazing time though that evening, with all her kids and grandkids gathered around her; singing her favorite hymns, praying, sharing our favorite memories with her, and reciting Psalm 23, her favorite. It was beautiful. She mouthed along when she could, for as long as she could. The death I have experienced this past half and a year has been hard, but beautiful. But I watched as death took over Grammie's frail little body. I have said in an earlier post that though some thought death to be evil and senseless, I did not agree, but God is in control and allows death. While I do believe that, I do agree now that death is the ultimate evil to our physical bodies. I watched as it had its way with Grammie. It was not meant to be, but because of sin we will all die a physical death. The amazing part is that as Jesus followers, we will not die a spiritual death. Jesus came to take Grammie's hand, stood in the gap so that she never had to "see" death. He came and took her to Heaven. That's what Jesus did for us. He took on death, so that we didn't have to. But we HAVE to die physically in order to get to Eternity! And she was so looking forward to this. My cousin had described this scene to me the next day and it made perfect sense. Because you see Grammie had seen Jesus. Earlier in the day, she sat straight up in her bed, eyes closed. My aunt Mary asked her, what do you see? Jesus, she said. And the angels? Mary asked. They are behind Him, Grammie replied. Wow! I assumed maybe she saw a vision of Heaven, but I believe now, that she saw Jesus, He was coming for her. About 10 hours later He came to take her to be with her Savior! What a Grand entrance!


Grammie was the best. I don't even know where to start. She was there with us when we came out of the womb, as she helped my mom for 4 months straight when we were born. She was there when we were sick. We spent Tuesdays after school and piano lessons together. Enjoyed tomato soup with rice, and Nesquick cold cocoa, or tea anytime we wanted! We sat with her outside on her burnt red picnic table and cried when it was time to leave. She told us, there was a time to come, and a time to go. And we could come back next time. She loved each of us so much. Her kids and grandkids, and great grandkids. She loved each of us the same. We were her "sweeties" and her "buddy boys". My cousin Trisha said when she was little she thought her name was Trisha Alice Bovenkamp Sweetie. Isn't that precious!? I never felt condemned or judged, only loved ALWAYS. She was so full of grace everywhere she went. She didn't even have to say anything! She was with us when we told her we were pregnant at 10 weeks. She was so excited. She was with us at 20 weeks when we told her our baby would probably not survive. She just came and sat next to me and hugged me and told me she was so sorry. She was so faithful! She had a hard life filled with her share of pain and loss, and she did not waiver! God was always her strength, He was until the end. He was her best friend. She leaves an amazing legacy. Most of her family has trusted Jesus with their lives, because of the solid foundation that she laid. As we sat by her bed and prayed, I thanked the Lord for her beautiful feet that brought Good News wherever they went. She wiggled her toes, as my sister and I held her precious little feet for the last time. What new meaning that verse takes on for me now! I will share more later I'm sure, she made such an impact in my life, I am so grateful. I Love you Grammie!


She was the best...............

5 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing Mo! Wish I could have met her! She was a sweetie herself!!! =)

    Hugs to you all!
    Chantel M

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for another loss in your life.

    I met your sweet Grammie, several years ago. She was a precious lady.

    Praying for you and your extended family (so many of which we know), that you will all feel the Lord's presence as you celebrate your Grammie's life, and mourn the loss in your own lives.

    Thinking of you a lot this week ... as we too are experiencing the loss of a baby ... having to say "good-bye" before we've even said "hello". Please keep us in your prayers.

    Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  3. So so sorry about your Grammie. What a beautiful legacy she left behind, though. It brought tears to my eyes to read about the impact that her faithful love for God had in the lives of her family. I pray that each time you think of her, you will be reminded of all the special memories and times you spent together.
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing precious memories...such sweetness! Your Grammie was a dear...I can see that from the way that you kids and your mom are...You are living Grammie's legacy.

    What a joy for her to have you all usher her to Jesus' presence...as a mom I can't imagine anything more precious than that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks mo we all loved her SSSOOOO much thank you for sharing i LOVE YOU SO MUCH GRANDMIE see you in the streets of GOLD ~ SAVANNAH /SWEETIE (AS GRAMIE WOULD SAY

    ReplyDelete